Spreading Cheer For All to Hear

Bryan Neels, Writer

It’s that time of the year again. The snow is beginning to fall, and Thanksgiving has passed. Some may say now is the most appropriate time for Christmas music to be played, and the Trojans are doing just that. On Friday, December 2nd, members of Chamber Choir, Jazz Band, and Change of Pace are going to West Acres Mall in Fargo, ND. Here they will perform Christmas music for all the shoppers at the mall.
Members of Chamber Choir, Jazz Band, and Change of Pace had to work extremely hard to get their songs ready for the mall. Students in the Chamber Choir dedicate Mondays in class as their sectional time to work on these pieces, while students in Jazz Band practice Tuesday and Friday morning, and Change of Pace students rehearse Tuesday and Thursday morning. Along with all of this commitment, students still need to have a permission slip signed and have to be passing all of their classes to attend.
The Chamber Choir is performing three songs: “This Little Babe”, “How far to Bethlehem”, and “Christmas Finale”. Jazz Band is performing many songs like the classic “Linus and Lucy”, to newer ones like “Jingle Bell Rock”. Change of Pace is performing three songs: “Whatcha Going to Bring for Christmas”‘, “Hotta Chocolatta”, and “Holly Jolly Christmas”. The Chamber Choir will be wearing their signature all black, while Change of Pace is trying something new. They will be wearing black dresses for the girls, and the boys will be in all black with a red bow tie. The Jazz Band will be rocking ugly Christmas sweaters, just as this time of year intended.
For the students and staff, it’s more than music. Students get the chance to shop around and eat at their favorite places like Leeann Chin or Taco Johns. Sophomore Jonah LeNoue said, “The food is probably the best part of the whole trip.” Along with the food, it is a great experience for the students to perform for people that normally wouldn’t get to hear their performance. Band director Emily Christensen said, “My favorite part has to be seeing all the people stop and listen to our performance, and being by the fountain adds to the atmosphere.” This is also a great experience for the staff. Music director Jennifer Gylland said,”I love watching the kids perform.” The students will be performing from 12-1:30 p.m. near the JC Penney fountain. Just as Buddy the Elf said, “The best way to spread Christmas cheer, is singing loud [or also playing] for all to hear”.