Guy/Girl Whips at Halftime

Bryan Neels, Writer

This year the dancers at Suz Dance performed their annual Guy/Girl Dance during halftime of the boy’s basketball game versus the DGF Rebels. The Guy/Girl Dance has been a tradition that started four years ago. It goes like this: each girl will ask a guy to be her dance partner. When every girl has a guy to be her partner, they head to the studio and learn the dance step by step. Inside the studio, the guys will learn the perspective of how a dancer practices. Once the dance was learned, they performed it in front of the Barnesville and DGF spectators. In previous years the response has been good, but this year was a little different. This year’s dance was noted to be more provocative. To go along with the “provocative” nature of the dance, the guys ripped their sleeves right before showtime.

When the dancers walked out, the crowd applauded, but some were nervous. Sophomore Jonah LeNoue said, “Learning the dance was easy, but I was a little nervous. It was hard to remember a couple spots.” Unlike LeNoue, junior Brooke Jenison was not nervous. From the dancers’ perspective, it was just like another performance. For the guys this was a new experience. “The guys were good, but some didn’t seem interested in it,” said Jenison. The audience, however, got to see the whole perspective. “I was impressed by the guys’ kicking. I know that’s not an easy thing to do,” said junior Nicole Herbranson. Some highlights from the the dance were seeing 7th grader Jack Nielsen and 8th grader Allie Aadland, along with senior Kieran Johnson and Megan Bellefeuille. “Kieran was one of the best guys; he was very positive and he cared about it too,” said Jenison. With all the talk about the dance, the response was still positive. Now it is up to the junior girls in Suz Dance to strive for five, and make next year’s Guy/Girl better than all the rest.