Unusual Pets at BHS

Bryan Neels, Writer

When it comes to pets most people think of the traditional cats and dogs. This is because these two animals are the most common responses when people are asked what they have for pets. However this is not the case for everyone. There are many types of pets that stray away from the norm. For example, hedgehogs, scorpions, turtles, and tarantulas are prime examples of an unusual pets. So, this leaves the question: what kind of usual pets are there at Barnesville High School?

At Barnesville High, there are a lot more unusual pets than one would think. When the students at BHS think of any students that have an unusual pet, one comes to mind. Junior Logan Bang has made quite the name for himself by having some very odd pets. “An unusual pet is something not a lot of people have,” said Bang. With that being said, Bang has a bearded dragon as a pet. Along with the bearded dragon, Bang has had a perch, some snails, a piranha, and gerbil to top it all off.

Another student with an unusual pet is sophomore Madison Milligan. Milligan has four guinea pigs named Ginny, Pig, Cookie, and Daisy. Having a guinea pig isn’t very unusual, but having four makes it a good candidate. Students aren’t the only ones with unusual pets. Biology teacher T.J. Schmitt has two lizards, a bearded dragon, and has had a veiled chameleon and some saltwater fish. These animals are not a simple walk in the park. “The chameleon requires specific lights and a specific cage. They are very sensitive,” said Schmitt.

Even though they are already owners of unusual pets, they still want more. Bang wants to get an iguana, Schmitt would like to get a shark or an octopus, and Milligan says she wants to get “a potbelly pig because [she] could dress it up in a sweater.” Even though these animals stray away from the norm, they are great conversation pieces, and maybe it’s not so odd to have an unusual pet.