What are The Benefits of 8th Hour?

Bryan Neels, Writer

8th hour is a 35 minute class at the end of the day in which a student can work on homework or read to finish out their day at Barnesville High School. This is what it is intended for, but sometimes things don’t go as planned. For most of the students, 8th hour is the perfect solution to help them finish their homework in school. “If I have homework I need to work on, 8th hour is the perfect amount of time,” said senior Kieran Johnson. If a student needs any help from a teacher, he or she can use 8th hour to his or her advantage. Another perk of 8th hour is that extracurricular activities can use it to have meetings. At Barnesville High School there is an 8th hour dedicated to Student Council and PaY. Even though there are a lot of plusses to having an 8th hour, it can be the longest 35 minutes in the world for a student who has nothing to do. Students are often instructed to read a book if they have nothing to do in 8th hour, but with the number of kids reading going down, it’s a lot easier said than done. Nowadays students would rather go on the Internet and watch videos on YouTube or play games the school has not blocked. “When I have nothing to do in 8th hour, I usually catch up on sleep,” said junior Kaitlyn Thompson. Another thing that could be done to improve 8th hour for students who don’t have anything to do is to have the “teacher give activities that will keep students entertained, but it won’t distract students working on work,” said Johnson. Just because 8th hour isn’t used by everyone, it is very beneficial to some students. It’s hard to believe that there used to be no such thing as an “8th hour.” The beginning of 8th hour can be credited to two men: staff member Mr. Trowbridge and principal Mr. Strand. It was first proposed to be a study hall hour in the middle of the day to help fit a student’s schedule, but was changed and added to the end of the day. When it comes to the students who don’t have anything to do, commented Trowbridge, “They all have something to do, they just choose to not do anything.” Whether it gets used correctly or not, 8th hour is a great tool for the students who need it.