NCAA Frozen Four Tournament Starts to Heat Up

Bryan Neels, Writer

Around this time of the year there is a lot of hype due to the March Madness Tournament. This tournament contains 68 colleges from across the nation to compete in a “winner moves on, loser goes home” style of bracket to find the best basketball in the nation. Most people know that that #7 South Carolina, #1 Gonzaga, #3 Oregon, and #1 North Carolina are the final four teams in the tournament, but what most are unaware of is that there is another tournament that has four schools left in it.
The Frozen Four Tournament consists of sixteen of the country’s best teams. This tournament style is the same as the March Madness Tournament, but the sport is different. The best hockey teams go head to head for the chance to play in Chicago and win a national championship. This year three local universities earned a bid to play in this tournament.  The #2 University of Minnesota Duluth, #4 University of Minnesota, and unranked University of North Dakota made an appearance in this year’s tournament. With Minnesota and North Dakota being eliminated in the first round, the #2 Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs were the only team to reach the Frozen Four. The Bulldogs beat Ohio St. and Boston University to earn this trip to Chicago.
With the University of North Dakota winning the National  Championship last year, the Frozen Four Tournament has gained more recognition, but it still gets overlooked . Seventh grader Preston Burnside said, “The Frozen Four shouldn’t get covered by March Madness because hockey is just as intense as basketball.” An NCAA men’s basketball game consist of two twenty minute halves, while a NCAA men’s hockey games has three twenty minute periods. Another reason the Frozen Four is getting more attention is because of the local Universities in it. Senior Blake Ishaug said, “It just shows how good the Midwest is at hockey, and it should get more recognition.” Along with Ishaug, staff member Mr. Askegaard said, “It should get more recognition, but it won’t. There is a larger fan base for the March Madness Tournament because it covers a larger area geographically.” This gives valid reasoning for why March Madness receives so much more attention. With the tournament coming to an end, it’s important to know who has the best chance to win. The Frozen Four consists of Denver, Notre Dame, Harvard, and Minnesota-Duluth. Out of the four teams, Ishaug believes that Minnesota-Duluth has the best chance to take the championship. “Minnesota [Duluth] had a tough schedule all year, and they have played very well,” said Ishaug. The semifinals and finals will be held at the United Center in Chicago, Illinois with the semifinals on April 6, and the finals on April 8.