• November 8Girls Basketball to start Monday, November 12th!

• November 8Bye Bye Birdie Performances - November 9, 10 and 11! PLAN TO ATTEND!!:)

Wisely Spent or Wisely Wasted?

Shelby Berg, Writer

It’s three o’clock on a Wednesday afternoon, and students are sitting in their desk counting down the minutes until the clock turns 3:18. Leaves are falling outside the classroom windows, and the air is cool. It’s about a month and a half into school and many students are already restless. Luckily, MEA break is just minutes away for all students and staff of Barnesville High. For some, especially seniors, it’s a time to prepare for the future and tour colleges; for others, it’s a time to relax and enjoy all that the fall season has to offer.

Cassidy Rood, a senior at Barnesville High, toured the college in Mankato over MEA break, and she explained how “I got a taste of the college life and I felt it would benefit my future.” On the other hand, Rood’s very close friend, senior Allison Peterson, had similar plans to tour NDSCS in Wahpeton. In the end, Peterson’s college touring plans for the MEA break were cancelled; instead, she ended up enjoying many activities with her friends that the fall season brings. A person can ponder whether or not seniors should be gearing up for the next chapter after high school or taking a breather from the busy life of a student. Barnesville High teacher Mr. Askegaard mentions that “MEA break is good for staff and students; it gives everyone a chance to relax and spend time with the family.” His weekend was spent working some and enjoying the company of his family with trips to a pumpkin patch and a Vikings game. Some might wonder what’s the best way to spend a break like this? It just depends who you are. When Peterson was asked why she spent her MEA like she did, she responded with, “I spent it like this to make memories during my last year of high school.” Although it may not be what’s important to someone else, it is to her. So, whether MEA was seen as a time to prepare for college or just make memories that will last a lifetime, it’s a needed time for all students and staff to relax and do what they want to do.