Jazz Band and Change of Pace Perform at West Acres

Cassidy Rood, Editor

Christmas is approaching fast, and there are many different ways to celebrate the holiday festivities. The Change of Pace and Jazz Band students are performing at West Acres for their annual holiday visit. Both groups perform a range of Christmas songs that are favorites to many people. The typical location of their performance is located in front of the fountain by JCPenny’s where there are risers and a piano provided. The performance happened on Wednesday, November 29th. There is always a big list of other schools and groups that attend, and Barnesville has been included in that list for many years.

Change of Pace meet every Monday and Thursday morning at 7:15 am. to practice their songs. After speaking to senior Beth Gerner about her involvement in Change of Pace, she mentioned that she loves the independence of the songs they sing and singing fun pieces of music. She likes having the West Acres performance because she “gets to leave school early” and it’s fun to do in general. Her favorite song they performed is “Baby It’s Cold Outside.” “We really prepared,” she explained when asked why she likes that song. Gerner also mentions that she appreciates the challenges of the songs the choir performs as a whole.

As for the Jazz Band, junior Elizabeth Bredman showed confidence about their performance as well. Jazz Band meets every Tuesday and Friday morning at 7:15 am. She loved performing “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch” because it’s their strongest piece and sounds the best. Bredman said, “I like listening to Change of Pace and other bands that perform,” when asked what she looks forward to the most in this performance. Being in Jazz Band also gives her a good experience and the opportunity to play with other jazz bands as well. For this performance, she expected a lot of grandparents as well as other shoppers to be the majority of their audience. Mrs. Gylland, who is the choir director at Barnesville High, loves the fun atmosphere of this performance. “It allows us to perform before our concert,” she said. Gylland loves teaching her choir students. She mentioned, “I like the energy the students have, it helps me to be energized.” She loves when students “internalize the music.” Gylland would also like this performance to continue each year.

Christmas is a time when holiday cheer is to be spread, and Change of Pace and Jazz Band do just that as they performed for those people who attended the West Acres Mall