How Thanksgiving was Spent by Staff and Students.

Ben Penner, Writer

Over Thanksgiving Break, everyone is thankful for many things; family, friends, shelter food, running water, and the four day weekend away from school. During the break, the staff and students at Barnesville High School did different things with their families. They went somewhere or stayed at home. Lots of people celebrated Thanksgiving and also went shopping on Black Friday, but others didn’t go shopping that day. Not everyone likes Black Friday shopping because of how crazy it can get.

Senior McKenna Peterson said, “I went to my grandma’s.” Peterson also mentioned how far she had to go to get to her grandma’s house. She said that she has been going there for as long as she can remember. Peterson said, “We went to a movie; we watched Wonder.’’ When she wasn’t at her grandma’s or at the movie theater, she was hanging out with her friends or sleeping a lot. Besides Black Friday shopping and watching movies, it’s a very popular weekend to watch football and to get some things done around the house.

Senior Logan Bang mentioned, ‘‘I went to my great-aunt’s in Fargo and my other aunt’s in Wolverton.’’ Bang also mentioned that he has been going to his great-aunt’s in Fargo for three or four years after they bought their house and that he has been going to his other aunt’s house in Wolverton for only a year because they recently bought a house there. While he was at both of their houses, he watched a lot of football, played backyard football, played card games, played board games, made a lot of food, and talked with family. One of his favorite memories over the weekend was when one of his little cousins was playing around and decided to wrap him up in his shirt, and he tried to get out of it. Some of us had really busy weekends while others didn’t do much.

Special Ed Teacher Mr. Martz said that he didn’t really travel anywhere. Instead he worked on the baseball field, worked around the house, put things away, talked with his kids, and watched a lot of football with his family. Para-professional Kristin Grommesh went to her parents’ house in Pelican Rapids, or every few years she goes to Colorado with her family to spend Thanksgiving with her sister. Grommesh also said that while she is at her parents’ house, she makes Christmas cookies with her parents and her kids. One of her family traditions is to go to the Lighted Horse Christmas Parade on Friday night instead of Black Friday shopping.

Not everyone has the same family traditions: some like to watch the same movies, likes to do the same things every year, and they’re all thankful for different things, while others are thankful for all of the same things, Every family does things a little differently, but everyone loves to spend time with each other no matter where they are or how far they have to travel to see their family.

*****photo courtesy of Google