Girls Looking Forward to a Great Season

Logan Bang, Writer

Basketball has finally come for the girls at Barnesville High School. Many players and fans have been waiting for this time of year to come around for quite some time. Although there are AAU teams, summer camps, and summer tournaments, it just isn’t the same to watch.

The Barnesville Lady Trojans took on the Rothsay Tigers to start off their season. With the first game came nerves and excitement to be able to get on the court again. The first game is also the game when the most mistakes are made. According to assistant coach Aaron Schindler, mistakes should be made. “We expect something to go wrong because it’s the first game. But the only place you can go from there is up.” Schindler explained. The first game is where coaches and players figure out what they are made of and what they are capable of doing.

The Lady Trojans have five seniors on their roster this season. One of those seniors is captain Nicole Herbranson. Nicole has been playing varsity since the eighth grade. After her senior year, Herbranson will be playing basketball at Minnesota State University Moorhead (MSUM). Setting and achieving goals plays a big role in a team’s success. When asked what goals the team had, Herbranson explained “Win the conference and go to state.”

As stated earlier, fans are excited for this time of year as well. The student section is filled up with a variety of ages. The students make cheers and dress up for theme nights to try to get the team pumped up for their game. Senior Jalen Plath has been going to basketball games since he was a kid in elementary school and is excited for the start of a new season. Plath explained, “I’m ready to go out and support them. I think they are going to have a good season.”

The basketball season starts in November and ends in March. Once the first game hits, the time flies by. Four months feels like one month when you play games every Tuesday and Friday nights along with tournaments on some Saturdays and other days depending on the schedule. It’s an exciting time of year, and it has only just begun.