NCYC Bus Breaks Down

Kaitlyn Thompson, Editor

It was just a regular trip to the National Catholic Youth Conference for the youth of Assumption Catholic Church in Barnesville. So they thought. The group was in Indianapolis from November 15th – November 19th for the conference, and the bus was scheduled to leave on Saturday, November 18th, from the Lucas Oil Stadium. Little did the group know, their bus would never make it to the stadium to pick them up. Because of engine problems, the youth and their chaperones were stuck at the stadium for over an hour without a way home or a place to stay. Chaperone Christy Peppel couldn’t believe the news, as she said, “My first thought was that this can’t be happening. It was late. Our luggage was on the broken down bus parked far away from the stadium. We didn’t have a hotel.” The chaperones tried arranging for another bus, but one was not available until the next morning. First time NCYC-goer sophomore Grace Schindler commented, “I was pretty mad and upset when I heard the bus was having engine problems. I was fine once we found a place to stay, though.” Veteran NCYC participant junior Kendra Paulson also added, “Having to stay another night in Indiana was very stressful because I had a lot of homework I needed to get done and my great-grandma was in the hospital.” Paulson also said that she was pessimistic about the situation until the group found a hotel to stay at. Since there were no buses available, a decision was finally made that the group would stay at the five-star hotel, Hyatt Regency. Although most were crabby and wanted to get home in their own beds, Schindler stayed positive, as she stated, “The bus breaking down did not affect my experience at NCYC. I will for sure go again in two years.” There were also some unexpected benefits to the situation, as Paulson added, “Even though we had to stay another night and find a hotel on short notice, we got to sleep in on Sunday morning and eat an amazing breakfast at the hotel.” Peppel also found a bright side to the spiel, as she said, “There is probably a good reason we weren’t on the road as planned. I believe things happen for a reason even if we never know what that reason is. We all made it home safely from an excellent conference. We may have been a little extra tired on Monday, but it was a short work and school week.” Without the leadership and networking skills of the chaperones, the Assumption Catholic Church youth would have had no place to stay and no bus home on Sunday. In the face of struggle and catastrophe, the Assumption Catholic Church youth and chaperones persevered through it all.