School Stops But Basketball Doesn’t

Logan Bang, Writer

In Barnesville Minnesota, the students got out of school on December 22nd for Christmas break, but that didn’t stop the basketball teams from getting in the gym and working to improve. The girls and boys teams both had practice the day after Christmas to prepare themselves for a Christmas tournament in Pequot Lakes.

The boys team has been going to the tournament for five years, and the girls team has been going for two years. The tournament consists of four different teams for both the boys and girls. Each team plays two games, and who they play depends on whether or not they win. The girls won the tournament after beating Hermantown and Pequot Lakes. The boys lost both of their games to Hermantown and Mora.

The tournament is more than just basketball. It is a time for teams to bond and have fun together. The Barnesville teams stayed at the Holiday Inn in Baxter, Minnesota. After their first game, the teams were able to go swimming in the water park. The water park is usually the players’ favorite part of going to the Pequot Lakes tournament.  Regarding her favorite part, senior Bobbi Lewis said, “Team bonding with everyone for two days.”

Although the tournament is only two days long, it is an exciting and fun time for the players. There was a lot of down time when not playing in their games, but the boys were able to keep themselves occupied. When asked what they did to pass the time, senior Charle Aakre explained, “The whole team brought DS’s and played Mario Kart.”

This tournament is an important part of Barnesville’s season. Boys varsity head coach Todd Henrickson said, “It has given us a chance to see teams we would not normally see during the regular season.  It is also a great opportunity for the team to get together outside of the regular school experience.” The Pequot Lakes Christmas tournament has been great for the players to bond and spend time together.