Saving Lives One Bag at a Time

Cassidy Rood, Editor

Just days before Christmas break was in full swing, Barnesville High School hosted their annual, winter blood drive. Many signed up eager to make their donations and help themselves to the refreshments and snacks provided by the United Blood Service nurses. The National Honor Society students also provided juice and bars for those who donated or tried to donate.

Since the NHS students were the designated sponsors of this event, they were responsible for finding students, faculty, and parents who were willing to donate. Whether it was over the phone or asking around the school, they had a goal of 50 sign-ups. Though quite a few were not able to donate for multiple reasons, the number of sign-ups were not far from the goal amount. Senior Beth Gerner talked about the preparation that went into getting the blood drive put together. She said, “There was a lot more than I thought.” She added how the assembling of the machines and computers was fast, and there was a lot to look at. Gerner also mentioned that the recruiting process of getting donations took some work, but she was surprised at the number of people who were willing to donate. The time in which donations were able to begin started at 8:00 am and the last donation ended about 3:30 pm with a few minor setbacks. Gerner explained that more people signed up this year as opposed to last year, but more were rejected this year.

There was many different reasons as to why some people weren’t able to donate. Having low hemoglobin, too high or low of a temperature, height and weight requirements, and being blocked from their system are some of these reasons. Senior Kaitlyn Lentz explained what her motive was for making a donation: “It’s been on my bucket list.” Lentz also added that it makes her happy knowing that she saved three lives, and one bag of blood can do just that. With the experience of her first donation, there came some complications after her donation was finished. She said, “I felt fine throughout the whole thing, but right before they took the needle out I began to sweat and blackout.” Overall, Lentz said that she had a fun nurse but probably wouldn’t want to go through the process again. Senior Brooke Jenison’s experience of blood donation could be considered a fear to many. Like Lentz, she didn’t feel apprehensive to donating, but the aftermath would be a whole different story. “I was feeling fine, just afraid they were going to stick the needle in me more than once,” Jenison explained. She mentioned she had a good experience during the donation because her brother kept talking to her as well. After a few hours passed proceeding her donation, she fainted while walking down the hallway. Jenison described what she felt before she fainted: “I went to my locker and my eyes started going dark.” She remains positive about what happened and is still willing to donate.

Aside from these donation scares, the blood drive was a success. Many students showed their willingness to donate, and many were deemed heroes that day as well.