Honor Choir at Concordia

Ben Penner, Writer

On January 19th and 20th, the Barnesville High School Honor Choir participated in a mass choir performance at Concordia over the weekend. Other schools from all around the state of Minnesota, North Dakota, and even a few schools from Montana were invited to sing together. There were about 500 students in attendance, and about 57 schools attended. There were local schools performing a few songs that they rehearsed to show off their singing skills, and each group performed about 3 songs each.

Each student had a favorite song, and not very many had a least favorite song that they performed or listened from other choirs. Senior Jaci Neels mentioned that her favorite songs were “Witness, Stars, and Curse Upon Iron.” Neels also mentioned that she loved “Witness” because it was a really pretty song to perform with the mass choir, and she loved “Stars” because of how pretty it sounded and how they performed it more than anything. “It was cool, they turned off the lights and had green glowing stars everywhere, it was beautiful,” Neels stated. Neels also mentioned, “It was not a competition; it’s a high school choral festival.” She continued, “It’s an opportunity for students to have such a great choral experience and to perform in such a huge choir with other students from surrounding states as well as Minnesota, it’s just a great experience to be in such a great choir.”

Sophomore Daniel Gerner wasn’t sure why Concordia was picked to perform, but he did say that having the benefit of listening to other choirs, getting an experience, and getting together with everyone was probably the best part about these performances. Gerner also had a favorite and least favorite song as well, “’Witness’ was a really good song, and the other one was ‘Ehre sei Gott in dee Hohe.'” He continued with his least favorite song, “I’d say Oculi Omnium, it wasn’t as much the choir, but how they presented it.” A few different schools performed different songs, it’s hard to tell which choir sang what song without looking at a program.

The Honor Choir also goes on trips every five years. In the summer of 2017, the Honor Choir went to Germany. There are a lot of experiences with the Honor Choir, performing with other schools, and performing amazing songs. Honor Choir Director Jennifer Gylland thought that the performance was really fun. She had a few favorite songs but not any least favorite songs, and she thought that all the songs that were performed were all good. Her favorite song was also “Witness.” Gylland also talked about the performance not being a competition, but a lot of students coming together to sing in a mass choir to sing together. She mentioned when they had to be at Concordia to rehearse and when the performance was, “Friday evening, and all day Saturday until 3:00.” The Mass Choir performance was at 3:00pm.

Performing in a mass choir at an event like this is amazing because you get to make friends, gain experience, and have the benefit of performing in a huge choir group. Plus, while being in Honor Choir, there are other performances at West Acres Mall in Fargo, ND, and much more. Every five years, there are international events for the Honor Choir to attend if they choose. Honor Choir is a very fun extracurricular activity to do outside of school, if you like singing of course.