Allison Peterson Commits to NDSCS

Brooke Jenison, Writer

Throughout the years of high school, athletes always have dreams to play on a college team. A senior at BHS, Allison Peterson, committed to playing volleyball for the Wildcats at NDSCS in Wahpeton. Peterson has had mixed emotions about committing. She stated, “My feelings now are a lot different than from the start… at the beginning when I first started thinking about it, I was nervous. I didn’t know what this experience would bring. After I learned more details, I realized it would’ve been a loss if I didn’t take the opportunity.” Peterson is very excited now that she knows what her future is and how great it will be. NDSCS volleyball coach Jane Passa claimed why Peterson would be a good fit and explained, “She loves the game, she has huge potential, and she likes to win.” Peterson has always had a passion for volleyball, and continuing it after school was something she has thought about before this year. Peterson didn’t really have a plan for next year yet, but once she got recruited to be on the team, she thought NDSCS was a great option. She said that when NDSCS was trying to recruit her, they tried contacting her back in August, but she had no idea. She didn’t find out until late September. It may have taken Peterson awhile to fully commit to the Wildcats, but she finally did it this past week. When Passa was recruiting players, she said she was looking for kids with heart, kids who are athletic, and kids who know how to win. Passa remembered seeing Peterson at a JO tournament. She had asked who Peterson was because she stood out. Passa stated, “She is an amazing jumper and blocker.” For the future of the Wildcats, Passa is excited to see Peterson develop. She has been coaching for almost 30 years, and out of those 30 years, she is lucky to be able to get to coach Peterson next season. Peterson discussed her high school memories of playing volleyball and what she would miss and said, “My experience with high school volleyball was something I won’t forget. I had some really amazing coaches and teammates along the way… I’ll miss the memories and chemistry I shared with this past team and all the supporters and coaches we had.” Head volleyball coach Megan Askegaard said, “We are going to miss her jumping ability and blocking in the front row for sure.” Peterson’s graduating class is beyond excited that she has chosen to take this wonderful opportunity and wish her the best of luck!