Albright gets a Student Teacher

Tori Buckhouse, Editor

Since the beginning of the semester, there has been a new face in Carol Albright’s art room. If you go in, chances are she will introduce herself. The new face in the art room is Ms. Kate Holmes, Albright’s student teacher. Albright doesn’t get student teachers often, so the fresh face is a welcomed addition to the art department. Holmes is an Art Education student at MSUM in Moorhead. When asked what her favorite part about Barnesville is, Holmes replied, “The overall atmosphere of small towns. When I first came here, it was right after Jaynie died, and everyone was there for one another.” So far Holmes’s view of Barnesville has been a positive one. She was also asked what her background in art was, to which she replied, “I never really considered myself an artist until I got to college. In my junior year of high school I discovered that I had the potential to become an artist. As for what I like to do, in college I took many different classes with many different mediums, I don’t really stick to one thing. I like to jump around a bit.” She also said that she enjoys working with art students because she likes teaching students, watching them grow, and especially enjoys seeing them get excited after learning something new.

From another perspective, sophomore Julia Bekkerus was asked if she had any advice for Ms. Holmes. Bekkerus commented, “I would say to express your opinion and speak up. She definitely has a knowledge on art, and she just needs to express that.” When speaking to Bekkerus, her overall opinion on Holmes seemed to be a positive one. Knowing that she is here to gain her own teaching style and develop as a teacher herself, goes to show that with her personality and knowledge she can become a wonderful teacher.