Band and Choir Students Prepare for NYC Trip

Cassidy Rood, Editor

The band and choir trip to NYC is fast approaching as we enter into the month of February. Many students have been anticipating this trip for a while, and others barely even realize it’s happening. April 3rd through the 9th are the scheduled days for this trip, and with the number of students attending, thorough preparation is key to a successful trip.

Getting ready for any trip takes planning depending on where you go, but when you go with a big group of high school students to a city like New York, there’s no such thing as too much planning. Booking the hotel, getting tickets, and planning the activities are just a small part of the process. Mrs. Gylland, who is the choir director at BHS, will be attending this trip for the first time. She said, “One year of being in contact with the travel agency,” is how it mostly began. As soon as she came to teach for the high school, she was in charge of fundraising as well. Gylland mentioned there will be 14 parent-chaperones and 126 students coming on the trip.

Senior Alyssa Allen is one of the many students attending. Allen said she hasn’t been doing a lot of preparing for the trip, but if she was, she commented, “I would get more hours at work.” Freshman Hailey Dunham hasn’t been doing a lot of preparing either, but she’s excited about the trip. She said, “New York is cool because there’s so much to see; I probably wouldn’t go to New York any other time other than a school-related thing.” Junior Jackson Ernst said, “Saving money, getting ahead on online, and future homework,” are what his priorities will be regarding preparation. Students attending might also feel overwhelmed with the amount of school and schoolwork they’re going to miss. Allen and Ernst take online classes at BHS, so they’ll be working ahead in their classes. Allen said, “I can get ahead on my work, especially with online, so that makes it a lot easier.” Dunham, who isn’t taking an online, doesn’t feel at all stressed about missing school. She said, “Not really. I know we aren’t going to do anything anyway because 1/2 the school will be gone.”

There are many places to visit and sites to see in New York, and most students seem like they’re happy with the location. Allen mentioned, “It’s a beautiful city, and I’ve always wanted to go there.” Ernst said, “I’m looking forward to the opportunity to see a place I’ve never been to before with my closest friends.” Teachers, students, and chaperones will be transported on three different buses. Gylland said, “Students will always be in their assigned seat on the same bus.” Ernst shared what his plans on the bus ride will be. He said, “Sleeping, listening to music, and potty breaks.” Allen and Dunham also have plans to sleep on the bus ride.

Aside from all of the planning that Gylland is doing, she shared what she’s looking forward to most about the trip. She said, “Singing in the cathedral- St. John the Divine.” Some traditional activities on this trip includes seeing a broadway musical, visiting landmarks, a dinner cruise, and visiting the art museum. There seems to be an endless amount of activities to do in New York, and many unforgettable memories will be made on the NYC trip of 2018.