Who Really Won?

Logan Bang, Writer

The Senior vs Staff game has been played, but nobody knows who really won. The staff claim they won and the seniors also claim to have been victorious. Who really is the winner in the 12th annual senior vs staff game? It depends on who you ask.

The game was a nail biter and came down to the final seconds. Neither team was able to take a commanding lead. The biggest lead either team had was nine points by the seniors. They ended up losing that lead and were never able to build another one. The seniors ended up with a one point lead at the buzzer. However, due to some controversial calls, neither team will admit they lost. Regarding his opinion on who won, senior Garrett Schaefer said “The seniors won. Look at the scoreboard.”

The officiating of the game was done by three Barnesville students: Juniors Jason Henrickson and Nic Swenson, and sophomore Hunter Zenzen. Regarding who he feels won, Zenzen explained, “Coming from a refs perspective, it’s a hard call to make. The staff could have easily won if they didn’t cheat, but in the end I’m going to have to give it to the students.” How did the staff cheat? Henrickson called a jump ball and possession should have been given to the seniors. However, one of the staff members took the ball without the referees’ consent and inbounded it. With this play, the staff took a one point lead. With four seconds left the seniors shot a half court shot, missed, and made a layup before the buzzer sounded. Some say the clock had not started early enough so the basket should not have counted. The final score ended up being 55-54 with the seniors on top.

Even with the huge controversy, the game ended up being fun and exciting for everyone. When asked about her favorite part of the game, Social Studies teacher Britta Teeples explained, “Watching students and staff grow competitive with one another.” Students and staff had been smack talking each other every day leading up to the game. The end result showed the seniors as the victors, but will a rematch need to be put in place to decide who truly won?