CJ Koski

Ben Penner, Writer

CJ Koski is a senior at Barnesville High. Koski says that he doesn’t do much outside of school, but he does a lot more activities when he doesn’t have to worry about school and homework. “I listen to music, and I play music, those are two big ones for me. I really like watching Saw, I like playing GTA V, I think that’s all for my activities.” He continues, “In the summer, I like to fish, go hiking, or just walk around town. In the fall, I like hunting. I wish I could go hunting in warmer weather where you don’t freeze your butt off!” When Koski talks about how he got into these things, some are very surprising nd have a lot of meaning to them.

First, he explains how he got into fishing, “Fishing was from my grandpa.” He also mentions that fishing with his grandpa was really special because his grandpa was his favorite family member to hang out with, and everyone in his family knew about this and didn’t mind it. He also mentions why he likes fishing so much, “I really like fishing because my grandpa did. My mom says that I naturally liked fishing because I would scoop fish out of the bucket when I was about three or four.” He also tells a story of when he had pet fish; he would scoop the fish out of the bowl and put it back in. He would do this over and over again for a while. His fish unfortunately died from him doing this, but he was very young when this happened. Then he talks about how he got into music, “Music, it just sort of happened as a coping mechanism for when my grandpa died, and since then I’ve fallen in love with it. It pretty much became my life.” Then he starts talking about learning to play musical instruments in the string family. “I started learning how to play the acoustic guitar at sixteen years old, and tried to play tabs of songs and I got into playing ukulele from two other artists, Twenty-one Pilots and Grace Vanderwaal. I started playing full songs on my ukulele, after about a year of playing a suprano ukulele, I didn’t really like the sound of it, so I got a baritone ukulele.” He continues, “Music is just kind of an escape for me, and it helps me get away from everything for a while when I’m having a stressful day, or when there’s a lot of problems going on. I want to be a musician, that’s one of my dreams.”

Koski has a few hobbies and activities that are the same, but he mentions a few others like metal detecting. “I just think looking for treasure is kind of a thrill, and it’s a way to make money or to add old coins to my collection. I think how I got started was watching a movie of this girl metal detecting and she found a very very old spanish coin.” He continued, “She probably could have made millions on it, not just that, my dream catch is to find a cache. That’s a very old chest of coins from the Great Depression. My metal detector is a beginner, so it’s not really good for relics. Koski is also getting into writing his own stories, he prefers writing his own horror stories. “I really like horror films, but there aren’t enough good ones, so I thought that I’d write my own.”

There is one question that every senior in high school has to answer to, and that is, “What are your plans after high school?” and here is what Koski had to say, “I don’t really know yet. I’ll probably get a minimum wage job and just just do that for a while and figure the rest later.” Koski’s other dream job would be working with animals. “That’s a good question. Saving animals, like with the ASPCA or an animal shelter maybe. I’ve thought about starting a doggie daycare.” He has also mentioned what his dream car is as well, “Oh, that’s easy, Lamborghini Aventador, a red and black one.” Koski has huge dreams and a lot of them.

Just like Koski, everyone has ideas or dreams that they want to accomplish, they have plans after they get done with school. Everyone has a different dream, or they have favorite hobbies. Everyone is different in one way or another. You’ll never find two people that are the same. There is a story in everyone, it just needs to be discovered.