BHS Student Section Keeps the Hype

Kaitlyn Thompson, Editor

Years ago, a normal spectator at a BHS sporting event would have noticed the student section cheering so unified that they could have rehearsed it. Does the current student section hold such energy? Major contributing factors to the success of the student section are the dress-up themes and cheer selections. There are always different themes chosen for each game, including: Hawaii night, jersey night, ‘Merica night, camo night, hick night, white-out, Trojan Crazies, and many more. There are also leaders of the cheers each night, and sometimes they get creative. Some of the crowd’s favorite cheers are the rollercoaster, boxing match, and human bicycle. The most prominent cheerers are usually members of the senior class, and although they don’t always do the cheers correctly, they have a lot of fun doing them. Senior Shelby Berg explained why she chooses to participate in the student section and said, “We’re there to support our athletics, so why wouldn’t we show our teams we’re there to cheer them on?” Berg has been active in creating cheers and themes throughout her years as a Trojan Crazy. The whole objective of being a Trojan Crazy is to hype up the team, and any athlete knows how fans can affect the atmosphere of a game. Senior and basketball player Logan Bang appreciates the student section and commented, “It [the student section] is very important. It’s much different having friends and peers cheering for you. It means more seeing them than just parents.” Bang isn’t the only person who has seen the importance of the BHS student section. Math teacher and frequent sporting event attendee Jed Johnson shared, “They get everyone riled up. They also probably get opposing fans annoyed.” It’s no secret that the BHS Trojan Crazies love to support the athletic teams. Hopefully when this year’s seniors graduate, the underclassmen will keep the legacy going.