All-Star Game

Ben Penner, Writer

The All-Star Game is a great fundraiser that raises money for the community or people in need. This year’s game was to help raise money for the Jaynie Halvorson Memorial and to help her family, particularly her son, Hoyt. A boys game and a girls game took place to help raise money for her family. Senior Charle Aakre, who was a player in the All-Star Game, said, “The best players from each team were nominated from the regular season. The coaches from each HOL team nominated their players.” Aakre also mentions that there were eleven players who participated in the event for the boys team.

Todd Henrickson, the Head Coach of the Varsity Boys Basketball team and director of the Barnesville Public Schools Athletic Department says, “The purpose of the All-Star Game is to give the top players in our conference the opportunity to compete against and with each other.”

The girls game started at 6:30 p.m. and the boys game started at 7:45 p.m. in the New Gym. There were eleven boys and twenty girls from the HOL who participated in the game. The turnout of the game was excellent. Mr. Hendrickson said that he thinks that there were about 125 – 175 people who showed up for the game. In total, this game raised $655 through ticket sales. Third grade teacher and coach for the Varsity Girls Basketball team Ryan Bomstad said, “I can’t coach any of the Barnesville players that still have eligibility.” These games are held around the same time every year but they fundraise for different reasons each time. These games are really fun to watch and participate in. The funds that are raised always go towards something good.