Who’s ready to play in the Snow?

McKenna Peterson, Writer

When the groundhog saw his shadow back in February he predicted six more weeks of winter, and that seems to be the case! This may be a blessing to people who love the cold and snow, but it is a nightmare for the spring sports programs. The spring sports include Softball, Baseball, Golf, and Track and Field. All of these sports are affected in similar and different ways. Softball and baseball have to share the space in the elementary gym, which makes it very difficult and can end up making the players’ and coaches’ days very long. When baseball has the gym first, they practice from 3:30 to 5:30, then after their practice is over the girls’ softball team has to practice from 5:30 to 7:30. Every week the boys’ baseball team and the girls’ softball team switch out, which means if boys are early one week then girls will be early the following week. Having to practice inside can be a pain and sometimes very boring.  While talking with Head Coach Aaron Schindler about the differences between practicing inside vs. outside, he explained, “For us, you can’t really have an actual size infield and outfield in the gym, we are limited to doing certain things. During inside practices we can only work mainly on technique, but outside we are able to do so much more.” Not being able to have the space for practice is a huge set back, but then on top of that, the girls will not have one practice outside before their first tournament which was supposed to start on April 14th but got postponed to April 21st due to weather and all the fields being covered with snow. The boy’s game that was scheduled for Tuesday, April 10th, has been postponed as well as the Thursday, April 12th game due to the weather and all the snow on the ground covering the field. The boys plan to have their first outside practice next week. Head Coach Phil Trowbridge explained why being inside has setbacks for his team and said, “It is very hard to work on fielding and game situations.” As for the girls track and field team, they have been able to sneak a couple practices in outside but just for a couple drills, and the long distance runners are able to run around town on a few of the nice days we have had. Head Coach Mike Schaub explained why he dislikes inside practice and how it is so hard on the girls. He said, “It’s hard on the girls’ legs having to run inside, they are more likely to get shin splints, and practicing inside doesn’t allow the girls to practice their events.” Practicing inside has many setbacks and can tend to get very boring. Coach Schindler explained, “I know it is a mental grind and I like to change it up and play little games and lift, otherwise in the future we can lose people because of the mental toughness practicing inside every day.” All spring coaches are crossing their fingers, just hoping that no more snow falls and that we get the warm weather that we have all missed!