Datenight vs. Fortnite

Brooke Jenison, Writer

Recently, there has been a popular game for PS4, Xbox, and even for certain iPhones that has come out. This game seems to cause many mixed feelings for girls and boys. Not only are boys obsessed with this game, but girls are also. A sophomore Emma Hanson expressed her feelings about Fortnite, “I think it’s really stupid (even though I’m shaming 98% of guys).” A senior Alex Jenison has a similar feeling as Hanson does. Jenison stated, “It’s getting overrated.” A lot of people who are in relationships have issues with the game Fortnite.. Whether if it’s the boy or girl, somebody in that relationship feels like their significant other would rather play Fortnite than be together. Jenison had said, “Some days I agree with staying in and playing with the guys, and other days, nah, I’d rather go out.” Hanson totally agrees that other people’s significant others would totally rather ditch date night and play this game. Hanson explained, “To be honest, I don’t know completely why, but I guess it’s a game that  is the ‘new thing’ and they prioritize winning games/victories over being with real people for a cooler social status on the game. The game also makes them not care about the relations they have with people.” She has a great explanation on why she felt this way, and there’s so many people that can relate. Barnesville math teacher, Jed Johnson, stated his opinion that is the total opposite of Hanson’s. Johnson stated, “I think my generation would still rather go out than play video games, but I have a feeling mine could be the last. Video games are getting bigger and bigger, so I could see upcoming generations wanting to stay in instead.” Hanson and Jenison both agree this game affects people’s lives negatively. However, Johnson begs to differ and said that it depends on whether the player is playing the game healthily and only playing it for a couple hours. There is so much controversy over Fortnite, but the players who played this game all love it.