New York City

Hunter Wahl, Writer

Recently a big event took place in our school that left the halls empty, The New York City trip! April 3-9 of 2018, the band and choir went on their annual New York City trip, and overall it seemed to go pretty well and it was a great experience. The trip consisted of ninth through twelfth graders and there were 144 people that went. They days were so busy and they were constantly doing something, never wasting their time. They left on Tuesday the 3rd, driving there took 28 hours and they didn’t arrive until Wednesday evening. Throughout the week they visited the Empire State building where the kids saw an amazing view of New York. They went to the Today show in Rockefeller center, and got a tour of the Radio City Music Hall where they got to meet a member of the Rockettes dance team. They went on a NYC TV/Movie tour where a few tour guides boarded the buses and showed all of the famous buildings and sites that they might have seen in movies and TV shows. They even got to see the Friends apartment building which was senior Ashley Schoenecker’s favorite part.  Schoenecker said, “Personally I had a good time, it would’ve been better with less people and if the kids were more mature.” They ate at Ellen’s Stardust which was a restaurant where the waiters/waitresses sing to you while you eat, what’s even better is that they are broadway performers in the making. The group attended two Broadway Shows which were Come From Away and Wicked and from a lot of people they said they loved them. They spent a few days in Times Square during free time and also went to Little Italy/Chinatown where they got to shop some more and eat some homemade Italian food. The choir got to perform in St. John the Divine which was choir director Mrs. Gylland’s favorite part. After asking Mrs. Gylland if she felt it was going to be a good trip she said “ I knew it was going to be good, but after going it was way better than I expected.” They also walked through Central Park and then walked on the Highline where they got to just relax, wind down and walk around. One of the favorites for everyone was the 9/11 memorial; everyone agreed that it was such a quiet, and somewhat peaceful atmosphere but they knew how important that place was. The last night there they went on a DJ Dinner Cruise where everyone danced, had a great last night in the big city and got to see the Statue of Liberty. After asking Freshman Cole Swenson what his expectations were, he replied, “Things not to be expensive, bigger hotel rooms, and to have a few more meals paid for.” With how many people there were on the trip there were some aspects that could’ve been improved but overall it sounds like everyone had a great time in the big city.