The Test of Time

Shelby Berg, Writer

It’s senior year, and you’re sitting at the lunch table next to your boyfriend/girlfriend talking about plans for next year. You’re nervous because you’re not sure how well things are going to work out going to different colleges or going down different paths. On the same token, you don’t want to be the couple who can’t be away from each other and feel obligated to go to the same college or move in together right away. The truth is, some high school relationships last and others are just lessons. With approximately twenty seniors being in a relationship, senior Nicole Herbranson has been in a relationship with fellow senior Brady Tweeton for quite some time, and they have the longest relationship out of everyone in the grade. They both have varying thoughts on high school relationships. Herbranson said, “I think some teens just don’t know how to keep a relationship at this age. Some couples fight all the time, others are in it for the wrong reasons, and a few just take things way too seriously.” As true as this statement is, don’t let it discourage you. Some relationships do last and history teacher Mrs. Teeples and her husband are a perfect example. They were high school sweethearts and are currently married. Teeples shared her thoughts on how relationships can last and said, “I think high school relationships last depending on the couple and the boundaries they set to make time to maintain other friendships and stay engaged in other activities like sports or work.” Research says that less than 2% of all marriages are actually to a high school sweetheart. So what helps relationships last? It’s mostly the simple things like honesty, respect, communication, and kindness. Tweeton stated, “I feel that trust plays a huge role in a relationship. Without trust, there isn’t a relationship.” With this being said, don’t fear high school relationships, but don’t feel obligated to be in one. Everything happens for a reason and sometimes things don’t unravel like one would suggest. Just remember that your time is short in high school, so spend it in your favor without sweating the small things!

References

“21 High School Sweethearts Marriage Statistics.” BrandonGaille.com, 23 May 2017, brandongaille.com/20-high-school-sweethearts-marriage-statistics/.