Looking Inside the Barrel

Cassidy Rood, Editor

Over the years, there have been many programs added to the Barnesville High School’s list of activities. Fastpitch softball and baseball is going on their sixth year, Mr. Johnson is going to start a chess club next year, and Casey Ehlert is in the process of putting together the first fishing team. Another activity that can be added to this list includes Trapshooting, which started in Barnesville three years ago. Senior Logan Bang has been participating in this program since it began. His dad, Corey Bang, is the head instructor for team, along with Wayne Hanson, Corey and Dawn Stuvland, and Jamie Heising. Logan Bang, Brooke Jenison, Alex Jenison, and Tyler Stage are this year’s captains.

For those who may not be familiar with what trapshooting is, Bang explained, “You can shoot with a group of up to five people, and be 16 yards from the trapshed. You get five spots to choose from, and a clay pigeon is thrown from the shed by a thrower (machine).” He also added what he enjoys most about trapshooting and said, “It’s really laid back, no one gets upset if you have a bad round. It’s satisfying to hit the bird, and I like to shoot guns.” There are 60 kids that participate in this program, and you’re required to shoot at least one night out of the week so you maintain your average. It’s also important to get a practice in before a meet. Meets are typically held over the weekend. Other schools that participate include Breckenridge, Glyndon, Perham, and Hawley. Trapshooting begins in April and goes into June, weather permitting. Brooke Jenison is also a member of the Trapshooting team. She mentioned what she likes most about it and said, “We’re outside, so I can get a tan.” Jenison believes having this program is good to have in school. She added, “A lot of kids that go to school in Barnesville are into hunting.” Jenison has participated in this program for three years since it began. As of the team’s record, she believes they have being doing well. She said, “As the weeks have passed, we have improved. My brother got a 46 out of 50 at the Glyndon meet May 5.” Looking at the perspective of an underclassmen, Ben Froslie is also a successful member of the team. He received a 75 out of 100 at the Glyndon meet this past weekend, which is very good for his individual and team scores. Froslie mentioned his favorite thing about trapshooting and said, “Teammates, and shooting stuff.” Froslie, as well as Jenison and Bang give the trapshooting team a good reputation. We wish them the best of luck for the remainder of the season!