Broaden Your Horizons: Coffee Edition

Kaitlyn Thompson, Editor

Think about your favorite coffee place. Is it Starbucks? Caribou? We all love the chain “name-brand” coffee shops, but have you ever considered trying something new and authentic? There are a few cute coffee shops around the Fargo-Moorhead area that you may not even have known existed! Some of my favorite ones include Babb’s Coffee House, Young Blood Coffee Co., and Twenty Below Coffee.

Statistics show the average American spends $1,100 on Starbucks annually. In this area, I believe that to be true. Starbucks is delicious, but I think that money could be spent more efficiently supporting local coffee shops. The problem with Starbucks is that it lacks coffee shop authenticity. One of my favorite local coffee shops is Babb’s Coffee House in downtown Fargo. It is not a chain coffee shop. There are two shops located in Fargo and in Jamestown. There are many reasons why I encourage coffee lovers to stop by this shop, and one of those reasons is the variety. The food menu includes soups, sandwiches, breakfast foods, and even quesadillas. The variety of drinks is even more abundant. They have all the coffee flavors you could ever want! They have separate menus for hot, cold, and coffee alternatives. Examples of coffee alternatives include Chai, Italian cream soda, freshly squeezed lemonade, and caramel apple cider. They also have an impressive variety of tea flavors. I have not tried every drink, but the ones I have tried have had a great blend of sweetness and strong coffee tastes. You can choose whether you want whipped cream or not, and I would strongly suggest getting it! The whipped cream has little chocolate pieces (depending on your drink choice) and it just melts in your mouth as you drink the coffee. The building itself is also conveniently spacious and decorated with comfortable furniture. It is the perfect place to relax with a few friends, or even to visit on your own and get some homework done!

Another local coffee shop I enjoyed is Young Blood Coffee Co. in downtown Fargo. Although the space is small, it is very modernized. I would recommend going here if you love strong coffee! Since there are large windows and white paint on the walls, it is a very cheerful and bright place to stop and get coffee. They also serve your order out to you, and each latte has a cool crème design on the top. It is wallet friendly and the staff are also very friendly! With the calming music playing as you drink your coffee, Young Blood Coffee Co. is the spot to go when you want to have a laid-back coffee date with a friend.

With the kind of weather we get in Minnesota, it’s no surprise that Twenty Below Coffee Co. in downtown Fargo offers a cozy place to grab a hot drink. My favorite part about this shop is the interior. There is a lot of wood paneling and vintage looking decorations that made me feel like I was in a log cabin. Who doesn’t love sipping something warm in a log cabin? I loved the coffee there, but their hot apple cider is what I loved most. They serve it in a nice big mug with a cinnamon stick, so you can control the flavor! I recommend visiting Twenty Below Coffee Co. on a cold, rainy, or snowy day. The comfy-cozy feeling you get when you walk in those doors is genuine and only found in this shop.

After all my critiquing and reviewing, I hope you consider trying out some authentic and local coffee shops. Not only are you supporting the local businesses and economy, you get to experience the kind of comfort that chain coffee shops just don’t bring. Of course, the chain shops are always the best option when you are in a hurry and need a quick drink to go, but I strongly encourage you to spend some time at a quality, local coffee shop!