Fishing Club

McKenna Peterson, Writer

What is this new club that everyone is talking about? This new club involves sitting out in the sun, “rippin lips,” and enjoying the warm summer weather. This club consists of 7th -12th grade students that want to be a part of a team that will fish and do other related activities. Throughout the season, there will be meetings where the team will listen to guest speakers. These speakers could include members of the Fargo Musky Club and local bass clubs. Overall, the Barnesville Fishing Team is a member of the Heart O’ Lakes fishing league that has over 17 other schools involved. They will fish in the North division, and each event will have two student anglers paired with a boat captain. All three will fish as a team for that event and earn points based off the length of their fish. Each team can count their five biggest fish of that event. When asked, what made you want to start up the fishing club, Coach Casey Ehlert responded, “My passion in life, besides family, is fishing. I’ve been fishing since 5 years old, where I stood on my grandpa’s dock from sunup to sundown. I started fishing tournaments in 1991 as a junior in high school. I’m at a point now where it just makes sense to starts sharing this passion with young anglers and help them improve and gain lifelong skills in this sport.” Also while talking with Ehlert, he explained how he tries to get on the water every chance he gets, and for the past two years he has been making weekly trips to South Dakota. Ehlert said, “Every weekend of open water I try and make it there one day during the weekend. It’s a two hour and twenty minute drive each way to fish the lakes I like, so it cuts down on some of my local trips to the lake. During the week, I make a bunch of short 2-3 hour trips east of town with my boys if they want to go. If I could fish 365 days a year I would.” Learning about this upcoming club has really inspired some students to join the club. Junior Preston Snobl and freshman Ben Froslie are two people who are very excited to get this team going. Snobl explained what he is most excited for and he said, “Rippin lips.” On the other hand, Froslie said, “I am excited because I like fishing and being with friends all summer.” Good luck to the fishing team this year, and have fun out on the water!