Being a Senior at BHS

Cassidy Rood, Editor

My final days being a student at Barnesville High School are coming to an end, and I continue to ask myself if I really lived up to the idea of being a senior, and if being a senior really all it’s cracked up to be? Did I inspire younger kids to act certain way? Was I seen as the “big kid” in the hallway, or the senior others wanted to be like? We are told that there are big eyes and little eyes everywhere we go, so how did the big and little eyes see me?

When I was younger, I always thought seniors had everything going for them, and high school was their kingdom. Most seemed to get along with all of the teachers so well, and they didn’t seem scared of anything. Many also created special bonds with their coaches, and get the kind of freedom that every underclassmen wanted to have. Fortunately, I got to feel these same feelings for my senior year. I enjoy the teachers that I have, and I hope they feel the same for me! I developed great relationships with my coaches as well. Being a senior has not hit me yet, but I have felt the effects of “senioritis” since the beginning of the school year. It’s a scary thought to me, knowing that I no longer will be a high school student, but a college student, a college freshman. Advice I want to give to any underclassmen is to take in each day as it comes. There will be moments where you continuously ask yourself when it will ever end. Please do not wish away these times, because for some of you, these are the last times you have being as close as you are with your friends. The day will come when you will have to part ways and say goodbye to the people who you used to sit at the lunch tables with everyday, who you used to cram for tests with, or “help” each other out with last minute homework assignments. Time flies by so quickly, so remember to never rush through being a high school student. I believe the most important thing to do is find people that bring you joy in life, because things are so insignificant in the grand scheme of life.

The idea of being a senior brings me many bittersweet thoughts. This is the year when everyone wants to classify school days, and our extracurricular activities such as sports, practices, meets, plays, rehearsals, and others as our lasts. It’s scary how true that actually is, but I want to take every game and every practice day by day. Though there might be times where I’m wondering when it will finally be over, I know I’ll look back and miss every single day. Being a senior hasn’t hit me yet, and I don’t think it will until the moment my class throws all of our caps into the air, and we hear the applause of our parents, grandparents, teachers, mentors, underclassmen, and everyone else attending the ceremony. This senior year has treated me well, but it still doesn’t seem like that last day will ever come.