What I Wish I Knew Then

Allison Peterson, Writer

You’ve heard these same cliché words before, and usually it just goes in one ear and out the other because you don’t think the time will come. As a matter of fact, with less than a week left I still don’t feel like I’ll be coming here for the last time. It’s tough to understand because we have become so used to our routine with the same people, and it just seems like it will last forever. High school was full of opportunities to do things, and a lot of those opportunities created good memories, but looking back there are some things I wish I would’ve known from the beginning.

In the bittersweet time that I have had in this building, a lot has happened. Friends were made, games were won, tests were taken, and lessons were learned. But believe it or not, a couple of those friends became strangers, some of those games were lost, a few of those tests were failed, and not everyone learned their lesson, but in the end that’s what teaches you the most important thing: it won’t be perfect. High expectations for everything might leave you disappointed, so don’t imagine it to be flawless.

Someone will find a way to try to tear you down, but don’t let them win. Not everyone is going to like you; its unavoidable. Whether it’s in your control or not, there is always something a person will target you for. More importantly don’t be that person. If you’re one who wants to be liked, being nice might help. It may seem like the word is overused, but it is impossible to be too kind. It will not only help you, but those around you too.

After experiencing proms, group hangouts, and anything that involves people’s opinions, I learned one thing that I will struggle with knowing for the rest of my life: you can’t please everyone. No matter how hard you try, someone will dislike it unless it’s their way. With saying that, be easy going; it may not always go how you want, but that’s life, and most of the time everything will end up alright.

Try to actually enjoy this time. Instead watching everyone else’s lives through your phone, enjoy yours. A lot of the time it will leave you jealous and striving for perfection. It’s important to know people only put things on social media that they want everyone to see, and they will look like they have it perfect. So, stop and put the phone down because you won’t be able to experience this time again.

High school has its ups and downs, but the one thing you should do is make the best of it. Not everything has to be looked at negatively. Do the things that will make your future self happy and grateful. No advice will perfectly prepare you for what is in store, but this is what I have to say. It may not seem like it, but it is an easy time. Just know you will