• November 8Girls Basketball to start Monday, November 12th!

• November 8Bye Bye Birdie Performances - November 9, 10 and 11! PLAN TO ATTEND!!:)

BHS Student Council

Kendra Paulson, Writer

You might think they’re just a group of kids that don’t have to do much, but really they run it all. Barnesville High School’s student council really does it all. From the planning, voting, and decorating for Homecoming they’re some of the busiest kids in the school. I had the opportunity to interview senior and queen Claire Meyer and junior Kya Anderson. They told me everything that goes into planning and setting up Homecoming week. When it comes to planning, they have about a month, a month and twenty-two brains to make it a perfect week. During that month of planning they both agreed that it is very stressful. They want to make it the best week possible for everyone, but they don’t want to repeat other years. I asked queen Claire if it was stressful being on both the Homecoming court and on student council, and she said that it made it a lot easier and less stressful because she knew everything that was going to happen. It gets to be quite difficult when it comes to picking the dress-up days because they don’t want to repeat other years. This year the days were pajama day, meme day, mathlete vs athlete, salad dressing day, and then finally, spirit day. When it comes to picking the days, student council writes down all possible ideas and then votes on them. When I asked Claire and Kya what their favorite dress up days were, Claire said “mathlete vs athlete”, and Kya said “salad dressing.” With dress-up days, we also have activities. Student council votes on all kinds of activities, and with the activities they have to make sure there’s enough time to do them and make sure that they will work. On Monday night is the big night of crowning the king and queen of Homecoming at coronation. It takes a full school day to set up the gym for coronation. They use old supplies that they find from other events that happen like prom, unless they want walkway paper or tulle, and they have to order those two weeks prior to coronation. When it comes to figuring out how to set things up for coronation, they said they go off of other years. On Wednesday night the girls get to have a little feel for the football field. For Powderpuff football, juniors take on the seniors for a little game of flag football. When it comes to setting this up, one of the student council members asks Mr. Schaub if we can borrow the flags, another member or two gets everyone who wants to play on a list so Mrs. Inniger can read off the names on the line up. Students also have someone make the shirts and get them ordered,  it that has nothing to do with student council. When Friday rolls around, Claire and Kya both agreed that the last day was their favorite day. Spirit day, the day we have no classes, is a day that brings the whole school together and a day that gets our football team hyped up to win. We get to end this fun day with a dance that the student council also sets up. We have a wonderful week that we can definitely give student council a huge thank you for all their hard work.