The One Club Nobody Turns Their Head To

Back to Article
Back to Article

The One Club Nobody Turns Their Head To

Kendra Paulson, Writer

Most people think Book Club is boring or silly, but it’s more than that. Senior Caroline Redding is a member of the Barnesville High School Book Club. She has been a member of Book Club for four years, and she loves it. Redding was interviewed to find out how book club works. When she was asked who is involved in the club, she said, “The people involved are anyone who wants to join, 9-12. This year our group has a mix of every grade. We have a total of 30 people including the staff.” Next, she was asked where and when Book Club takes place and what they talk about during the meetings. She replied with, “We get together in the mornings once a month and the meetings take place either in the library or in Mrs. Gross’s room.” Redding hasn’t made it to every single meeting, but she said it was because of personal conflicts. She said the things they talk about are everything that happened in the book, the plot, characters, everything. Then, they rate the book out of five and explain why they gave the rating that they did. When it comes to figuring out which book they’re going to read next, she said that everyone who has a book idea posts it on Schoology, and then they vote on which one they want to read for the month. The book picked then gets ordered by teacher Holly Inniger, and everyone who wants one tells her and pays for it.

Book Club goes all school year with a meeting once a month. Redding said her favorite book that they’ve read so far was The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. She said, “It’s so real and shows so many different perspectives to huge topics.” Redding was asked why she was in book club and what she enjoys most about it. She said, “I am in Book Club because I love books. I love being able to talk about how much I loved a chapter or hated the plot with other people. I enjoy the friendships made through it. You can talk to anyone and bond off of the month’s book and start communicating and become friends with them.” Book Club isn’t just a boring club, it’s a club where you can start friendships and openly say how you feel. It’s a club of belonging.