Barnesville High School’s Dragon, Io

Back to Article
Back to Article

Barnesville High School’s Dragon, Io

Kyuwon Lee, Writer

Do you know what bearded dragons are? Mr. Schmitt, the science teacher of Barnesville High School, has a bearded dragon. His name is Io. Mr.Schmitt purchased him from Petco in Fargo in September of 2015. He’s always liked reptiles, so he wanted an unusual pet to have in his classroom. The bearded dragons are ideal for that. He thought that bearded dragons were cute, easy to care for, and were friendly animals. Among them, Io was the cutest bearded dragon in the store that day. When they first met, he chose Io. Unfortunately, the school’s administration was concerned about animals in the classroom, so he wound up having to keep him at home.

Currently Io is three years old. Io usually eats crickets, mealworms, superworms, orange-spotted cockroaches, as well as squash, bananas, sweet potatoes, and general bearded dragon food. Mr.Schmitt said, “Io is a great pet. He doesn’t shed, bark, or bite. He likes to sit on my lap and watch TV with me, or ride around on my shoulder around the house.” Now Io is one of the members of his family. His wife and kids all love Io as much as he does.

Mr. Schmitt said that people are a little scared of Io at first, but after he introduces them to Io, they tend to warm up to Io. The difficulties in raising Bearded dragons is to require special lighting and a large cage or aquarium. Many people think that pets are just like a cute animal, toy, or hobby, but clearly having a pet has some inconveniences and difficulties. He advised, The best time to have a pet is when you have the time and patience to care for it.”