• December 6Christmas Music and Coffee in the Commons - Friday, Dec. 21st Before School

• November 30Almost $2400 was raised through the coin drive! THANK YOU!!!

• November 8Last Day of School for 2018 is December 21, 2018

Christmas in America

Back to Article
Back to Article

Christmas in America

Jonah Lenoue, Editor

For many students at Barnesville High they celebrate Christmas the same way every year, but for three special students they will be celebrating things a little different over here in the states. Those three students would be Junior Kyuwon Lee who is from Seoul, South Korea, Sophomore Claudia Hurtado Martin, who is from Madrid, Spain, and Sophomore Tim Walters, who is from Münster, Germany. In all of their home countries they celebrate Christmas the same time every year just like the U.S., and in some places it’s not as big of a deal like it is in other countries. Christmas in Korea isn’t their biggest holiday as Lee said, “It’s not a tradition, but many people celebrate it… Korea’s biggest holiday is Chuseok. It is like Thanksgiving day in America. All the family members get together to make food for Chuseok and have a good time. It is a very important holiday for Koreans.” The holiday of Chuseok is celebrated in September, and it’s always celebrated on the 15th day of the 8th month on the Lunar calendar. In countries like Spain and Germany, Christmas is their biggest holiday. Both Lee and Martin agree that America does a lot more decorating than they do, but as Walters said, “It’s close to the same” when talking about decorating.  Apparently America does things a little over the top when it comes to Christmas. All three of them can agree that the best part about Christmas is getting together with friends and family. Martin said in regards to the Christmas season, “Time of year where people are more nice with the passing of a new year. It’s a chance for you to start over.” All three of them are excited to spend their first Christmas in America, but will also be thinking about their family back home, and that’s something not many students can relate to. Hopefully everyone has a very Merry Christmas! 메리 크리스마스 (Merry Christmas in Korean), Feliz Navidad (Spanish), and Fröhliche Weihnachten (German).