Can Art Change Your Life?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Can Art Change Your Life?

Stanley Schoenecker, Photo Editor

Teaching at a new school can be a difficult job. Recently there have been a couple new teachers that came to Barnesville High School this year. The new art teacher’s name is Heidi Smith. She has previously worked at Pelican and Lake Park Audubon High Schools. Mrs. Smith was very excited to work at Barnesville and said, “When they offered me the job at the end of May, I was ecstatic!” For how excited she was, she was equally as nervous to start teaching. Mrs. Smith didn’t sleep for two week and couldn’t eat. The first day was the worst, but after that she got the hang of things. Art has always been a part of her life: “Since elementary school, I would always draw, and I brought a sketchbook with me everywhere. School was hard, so art was my escape.” She’s thankful for her students accepting her and allowing her to try new ideas. Her goals for the school year are, “I want to have the best turnout for the art show in Barnesville and want to see the class sizes in art to increase.” Mrs. Smith is very supportive towards her students, as she helps them with their projects and helps with their life choices. Heidi Smith makes students happy to come to class with her enthusiasm to teach students the benefits of art.