Are Student Aides Helpful?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Are Student Aides Helpful?

Ashton Johnson, Writer

One of the biggest classes people look forward to taking their senior year is student aiding, but just how much do students actually enjoy the class? Phy. Ed. teacher Nick Paur gave his input about how he feels if student aides are helpful or not stating, “Yes, especially for Phy. Ed. classes. It allows you to assess student behavior and officiate rules of the game.” Paur strongly agrees that Barnesville High School should continue doing the student aide class because, “It not only helps take small tasks off the teacher’s agenda, but it frees up to time for the teacher to focus more on lessons and students.” Some qualities Paur looks for in his aides for each year are leadership, assertiveness, and the ability to work with younger students. Paur is very pleased with having student aides, but how much do the aides themselves like it?

Seniors Ben Gerner and Brooks Martinson talked about how their experience being a student aide has gone so far. Martinson has mixed emotions about it, having said, “Somedays, when Paur is happy, yes, but when Paur is mad, no.” Gerner, on the other hand, has not enjoyed being an aide. He said, “The students are very irresponsible, no respect for anyone, very loud, and have vulgar language.” Martinson thinks of it as “a free hour where you don’t have to do much.” While Gerner thinks of it as “an experience that can be worth while.” Being a student aide can be fun, but it can also be a lot of hard work.