Alex Peppel

Back to Article
Back to Article

Alex Peppel

Kendra Paulson, Writer

Alex Peppel was a former student from Barnesville High School. He graduated in the spring of 2016, and from there he went straight into the Navy. He is the Quartermaster and specializes in navigation at sea and visual communication.  He lives in San Diego, California, and he has only been back to Barnesville three times since he joined the Navy. He said, “I wanted to go into the Navy because I would like to get in to the commercial shipping industry later in life, so by picking the career path I did, I’ll get plenty of on the job experience as well as a free college.” He left for boot camp on July 4thof 2016 and finished boot camp on August 26thof 2016. After boot camp, he remained in Chicago until November 4thof 2016 for the training in the job he picked. His next deployment will be in the next few months, and he will be gone for seven to eight months. Peppel said, “My favorite thing about the Navy is all of the traditions and deep history that surrounds everything we do.” Peppel misses going to different sporting events and working in the wood shop. He is still with his high school sweetheart Jordyn Thompson, and they see each other as much as possible. After the Navy, he plans to further his education at the Massachusetts Maritime Academy to get his degree in marine transportation, as well as get his 3rdmates license so he can get a job working for a cruise line or a cargo shipping company. He misses Barnesville, but he is having the time of his life in San Diego, California.