• December 6Christmas Music and Coffee in the Commons - Friday, Dec. 21st Before School

• November 30Almost $2400 was raised through the coin drive! THANK YOU!!!

• November 8Last Day of School for 2018 is December 21, 2018

Don’t Think You Need Scholarships?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Don’t Think You Need Scholarships?

Mariah Lewis, Writer

Do you think you need a scholarship? People that seek out scholarships are decreasing these days. Mr. Gylland, the BHS guidance counselor, is a strong advocate for people applying for scholarships. Applying for scholarships is very important now more than it was in the past. College keeps getting more expensive, and scholarships help with that cost. Gylland points out that using the internet is easy: “Using the internet to search for scholarships is no different than looking for something while you online shop; you go in not knowing what’s going to pop up, but you have keywords of what you want to find, so you still find what you’re looking for.” You can find some scholarships and other useful links on Mr. Gylland’s website connected to the BHS school website. Bobbi Lewis, a 2018 graduate, found her fair share of scholarships this way. She also believes that looking for scholarships is worth the time to look for them and filling them out: “If you put in the time now to apply, it will save you stress in the future.” Mr. Gylland also believes that it’s worth it to seek out as any scholarships as you can, especially local scholarships because your chances on winning a local scholarship is more likely than a national one.  “Scholarships save you more money than is actually awarded in the long run.” Gylland points out how you don’t have to pay interest on a scholarship: “Say you have a $500 scholarship; it’s actually worth more than that. Here’s why: it’s $500 that you don’t have to take a loan out for. If you had to take a loan out, it would add interest to that $500 for the years it takes you to pay it off.” On a loan you will end up spending way more than that $500. When you start your search for scholarships, you may find that some are specifically for current college students. Gylland touches on this by saying, “Some scholarships are for freshmen, but programs give scholarships to upperclassmen who have stuck to their program since many freshman change their minds their first year.” So, don’t stop looking for scholarships after your senior year in high school. Applying for these scholarships can help you have less of a financial burden. Why wouldn’t you want to apply for free money towards college?