Concordia Honor Choir

Back to Article
Back to Article

Concordia Honor Choir

Gabby Armstrong, Editor

Next week, select students will be attending the Concordia Honor Choir event! This will be the third year choir director, Mrs. Gylland, has brought students to Concordia. In previous years, Mrs. Gylland had only been able to bring eight students; however, this year she is able to bring a total of 17. In order to qualify for this, it is dependent on the student’s ability, dedication, and seniority. However, getting ready for this performance is no easy task. This year’s selection of music really challenges the student’s musical abilities. With that being said, there is always going to be that one piece that poses the biggest challenge. “‘My Soul is Anchored in the Lord’ may be the biggest challenge, as it is split into six voices and the rhythms that are a bit challenging, but it’s a great piece that gets stuck in ones’s head!” said Mrs. Gylland. Junior Mattea Spaeth is attending her first Concordia Honor Choir. She has taken time in and out of class to learn the music. Mattea Spaeth said, “ I listen to the songs and listen for my part while reading my music.” Preparation not only happens in the classroom, but it also requires individual practice on a  student’s own time. Time is of the essence when preparing for this large event. Students attending the Concordia Honor Choir are eager to collaborate with other voices. Come see their talent on display at 3:00 p.m. on January 19th at Concordia’s Memorial Auditorium!