• December 6Christmas Music and Coffee in the Commons - Friday, Dec. 21st Before School

• November 30Almost $2400 was raised through the coin drive! THANK YOU!!!

• November 8Last Day of School for 2018 is December 21, 2018

Elizabeth Bredman Prepares for College Scholarship Audition

Caroline Redding, Editor

As graduation creeps closer for the 2019 Class, the future is always on their minds. For most students at Barnesville High School, college is the main plan or goal after graduation.

Senior Elizabeth Bredman is no exception. She is going to Concordia University Wisconsin to major in Music Education (Instrumental). She picked this college because she loves the campus, they have her major, and she really likes Brad Alles, one of the teachers there. “At first, I didn’t really have any idea what I wanted to after high school. Then one day, while ranting about Wade, it sort of clicked for me,” Bredman said. She specifically chose Music Education for three reasons, “One: Wade. I hated attending band class my junior year, and I didn’t want anyone else to feel the same way. Two: Mrs. Christensen. She was my favorite teacher at Barnesville High School, and I wanted to be able to share my love for music with others like she did with me. Three: Piano Lessons. I recently took on three of my own students, and I absolutely love it.”

Like most colleges, this major has scholarships available; however, instead of writing a short essay or taking a survey, she is doing an audition to obtain this scholarship. She’s auditioning on her most experienced instrument, the piano. For her audition, she has to prepare two pieces of contrasting style, two different musical ears, and both must be under eight minutes. She also has to know both major and minor scales up to four flats and four sharps, which is 36 scales. All scales and pieces must be memorized as well. Lastly, they evaluate her on her sight reading abilities.

All of this is very challenging, especially picking what pieces to play. The two pieces she chose are Kuhlau’s ‘Sonatina in G major op. 20 no. 2’, her technical piece, and Brahms’ ‘Intermezzo in A minor op. 76 no. 7’, her lyrical piece. “I picked Kuhlau because he has always been one of my favorite composers, and I knew I wanted to play something by him. I picked the piece by Brahms because I’ve loved the rich chords, and this piece is full of them,” Bredman said. These pieces are very challenging, and some would say it looks impossible. “These pieces are the most challenging I have ever played in my entire life,” she said. “The most challenging part though is the techniques for each piece.” The challenge grows smaller with every practice, but some things are just plain difficult. However, this doesn’t stop her from having fun. “The most fun part about preparing for these pieces is playing parts of them for other people and seeing their faces after,” she said, “I love having people listen to me play, and watching them go ‘WOW! How did you play that?’. I’m not trying to brag, but I’m pretty great to listen to.”

Elizabeth isn’t going through this audition practice completely alone. She’s had the help of pianist, Sarah Leach, her piano teacher. “She’s given me a lot of guidance on these pieces,” said Bredman. She doesn’t have an exact date for her audition yet, but is hoping for the 9th of February. She had the option of a video audition, but chose to travel to an on-campus site, “I decided it was better to have a crappy audition and be there in person than to submit a good audition via video.”

As the dates come closer and closer, Elizabeth is working harder than ever. She stays up late to practice her solo, go to her three hour One Act rehearsal, do her homework, eat, and shower. Her feelings are strange and slightly mixed about the audition so far. “I don’t really know how I feel. I’m not ready yet, but I know when the time comes I will be. I’m really a nervous wreck when it comes to performances. I’m nervous to play in front of people. I just hope I do a good enough job,” she said.

With her outstanding piano skills, Elizabeth’s friends, family, and supporters know she will do absolutely amazing! So, if you want to watch her play, just ask her! She’s always looking for some extra practice.