Pennies for Patients

Back to Article
Back to Article

Pennies for Patients

Kyuwon Lee, Writer

Pennies for Patients is a branch of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, and raises funds to
help fight cancer. Mrs. Teeples, the NHS chapter advisor in Barnesville high school, said, “They
contacted our NHS chapter and asked if we would lead a week-long drive to help raise funds.”
Their purpose is to help raise money for their organization to help fund cancer research and
directly help patients in need. The students raise as much funds as they can to give to the Pennies
for Patients Program. The students are running their fundraiser the week of February 4th-8th in
8th hours. Mrs. Teeples said, “As a NHS Chapter we feel it is important to help others with
service when possible, and this is one way we are able to do so.”
NHS members participated in this activity because they knew being on the pennies for patients
board was important because cancer affects so many people and something like donating your
coins can have a big impact on people who are in the hospital. Senior Jackson Ernst said, “I got
involved with NHS because I feel like it is a great way to help out my community. It’s a way to
help others, while also being on a great team of hardworking people.” Emily Spilde, the
president of NHS, thinks that it was a great idea when they contacted us to do this penny drive.
Jackson Ernst said, “I feel like I am helping people, which is something I love to do. NHS also
makes me feel like I am part of a great group of people that share the same goals as me.” Elora
Pessoa said, “It feels nice to be a part of something bigger than BHS and to help those in need.”
Emily Splide said, “Whenever I do a fundraiser I feel happy that we are getting to do something
to help others. I don’t think many people realize how easy it can be to help someone in need.”
Join in by donating to not only help these patients but also to feel joy I. Philanthropy.