Making an Impact at MSUM

Back to Article
Back to Article

Making an Impact at MSUM

Tessa Herman, Editor

Many athletes come and go through Barnesville, but few go on to play sports in college. Nicole Herbranson and Peyton Boom are some of the few. Both girls are members of the MSUM girls basketball team. Herbranson was member of the 2018 graduating class, and Boom was a member of the 2017 graduating class of Barnesville High. Both players explained how the biggest difference from high school basketball to college basketball was the physicality of the game. Herbranson stated, “It takes up a lot more time than it used to, and it is a year round thing.” Both players practice two and a half hours after school everyday and lift twice a week with games landing on Fridays and Saturdays. This is asking a lot of the players as not only athletes but students. Boom
stated, “balancing basketball and school can be difficult at times, but it’s all about organization, thinking ahead, and talking to your professors.” Boom and Herbranson have stayed great friends throughout the years, but both have made many friends. “being on a team your teammates become your friends fairly quickly because you are around each other constantly, so it’s a lot of fun
hanging out with them at hotels and practices,” Boom stated. Both girls are great role models to girls chasing the same dream. Many student athletes look up to both of them.Herbranson’s best advice to underclassmen is, “If you want to play college basketball, or really any college sport, you have to be willing to put time into it. It takes a lot of hard work in the gym and weight room to have the opportunity. Most importantly, don’t play to get noticed, but play like you love the sport, and the rest will follow. Both players were a key component to the basketball program here at Barnesville High, but it seems as though they are having the same impact for MSUM’s program.